“Doing away with plastic grocery bags will help protect not only the Earth but also marine life”!
Typically, plastic bags are made from high-density or low-density polyethylene (#2, #4 plastic). These types of material are widely recyclable and can be collected through collection bins at grocery stores. It’s as fast and easy to find plastic bag collection centers and use recycling to make some extra cash. Besides, you can always find the closest location for both services online.
Whole Foods Market partners with a lot of retailers in plastic bag recycling. They can recycle your plastic bags from any store. Corks, plastic bags, and toothbrushes are reused too.
How to prepare Plastic Bags for Recycling
- Remove everything from the bags.
- Buy a special plastic bag container for your house, or use big garbage bags.
- Use only those plastic bags which have the #2 or #4 plastic symbol on them. They are sure to be recycled. You can find some ways to reuse other bag types.
Why should we Recycle Plastic Bags?
- Plastic bags belong to the type of marine debris that kills lots of birds and fish.
- It takes hundreds of years for plastic bags to decompose in a landfill.
- We can save lots of barrels of oil by recycling plastic bags.
How are Plastic Bags Recycled?
- Plastic bags are chipped into pellets.
- Pellets are transported to special companies that manufacture them into plastic lumber.
- They are reprocessed into new bags.